“Sweet potatoes add welcome texture to pizza—and they’re delicious with tomato sauce!” — Cristeta Comerford and Sam Kass, executive chef and assistant chef of the White House
TOTAL TIME: 1:15
- White Hamon sweet potatoes
- 2 Small Eggplants
- 2 tsp. red peppers
- ½ c. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 lb. frozen pizza dough
- 1½ c. tomato sauce (your own recipe or store-bought)
- 3 c. shredded low-fat mozzarella
- fresh basil
- Heat a grill to medium-high. In a large bowl, toss vegetables with ¼ cup olive oil and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill in batches until softened but still crunchy,about 10 minutes for sweet potatoes, 8 minutes for eggplants and peppers. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Roll out dough to two 9-by-18-inch pizzas, about 1/8-inch thick. Brush one side of each pizza with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill with oiled side facedown on grates for 9 minutes. Brush other side of pizzas with remaining olive oil, then flip and grill until cooked through, about 9 minutes more. Spread tomato sauce over pizzas and top with grilled vegetables followed by mozzarella. Close grill cover, or tent with aluminum foil, until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Garnish with basil.