What makes beetroot hummus an absolute favourite in parties is the bright and peppy pink colour, besides the lip-smacking flavour of course. Top it with fresh herbs for some zing.
- 2 cups of chickpeas, boiled
- 1 beetroot, peeled
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup of olive oil, plus extra for topping
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp of curd
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Oil and roast the beetroot on the stove or in an oven for 10 minutes. Let it cool. Then chop it into smaller pieces.
- In a pan, roast the sesame seeds until aromatic. Allow to cool and then ground into a powder.
- In a food processer or blender, mix chickpeas and garlic, and pulse until smooth. You can add a little water, if you find the mixture a little dry.
- Add the beetroot, sesame powder, curd, olive oil, cumin powder and salt, and blend again until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, and add the lemon juice. Mix well and check seasoning. Finish with a drizzling of olive oil and fresh coriander leaves on top. Serve with pita breads.