- 250 gm paneer cubes
- 3 Tbsp ghee/ clarified butter
- 2 Tbsp whole spices
- 1 large onion,chopped coarsely
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups fresh tomato puree
- 2 to 3 green chillies
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1 tsp tandoori masala
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup cashew paste
- 1/2 cup cream
Salt to taste
- 6 cups cooked Basmati rice
- 1 cup fried onions
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- 1/2 cup chopped mint and coriander
- Sear the paneer cubes in ghee. Then season it to taste and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the whole spices such as cinnamon, cloves, black cardamon, green cardamon, black peppercorns, mace.
- As the spices crackle, add the chopped onions, green chillies, ginger garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered masalas followed by the tomato puree. Simmer for 10 minutes or so.
- Then add the cashew paste and cream. Season to taste.
- Add the paneer into the gravy and bring to a gentle simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Using a greased baking dish or handi, layer the paneer and rice alternatively. Garnish with fried onions, nuts, fresh mint and coriander. Cover with aluminium foil or heat gently for 25 minutes. Serve hot.